Do I have to go to the office for an interview?

You will be scheduled for an in-person interview only if you have applied for TANF, General Assistance, or Adult Medicaid. If you apply for SNAP only, you will be scheduled for a telephone interview. No interview is required for Medicaid for children and families and Medicaid for Aged, Blind, and disabled individuals.

I applied by mail/ internet. When will I be scheduled for an appointment?

You can expect to receive an appointment letter within 5 business days.

How can I find out the status of my application?

Statuses cannot be provided unless the normal processing time has been exceeded (30 days for SNAP, TANF, and General Assistance, and 45 days for Medicaid). If the normal processing time has been exceeded you can call the office at 299-7200 x391.

What can I do if I disagree with the agency’s decision to deny my application?

You have the right to request a Fair Hearing. You can obtain a Fair Hearing Request Form by following the instructions on your notice, or by calling 299-7200 and speaking to the Fair Hearing Liaison.

Who is handling my case? Who is my Case Worker?

The agency has converted to a case banking system to process applications and renewals. Clients no longer have a specific case worker. Instead a team of case workers will process cases to ensure that each client’s case is processed in a timely manner.

Can I transfer my benefits from another County or State?

Benefits are not transferable from state to state. If you have moved from another state you must provide proof that the case is closed.
If you have moved from another county in New Jersey, you must report your new address to the other county so that they can close your case and transfer it to us. It is your responsibility to report a new residence to the old and new counties. You will still have to apply for some programs when you arrive in the new county because not all benefits are transferable such as SNAP

How many days do I have to report a change and what type of changes need to be reported?

Any change in Income, Family Composition, and/or address must be reported to the agency within 10 days of the change. Written documentation can be hand delivered to the front desk, mailed to the agency or faxed, be sure to include your case number.

Medicaid & Family Care

How do I add my baby?

Fax or send a copy of the baby crib card with a letter stating you would like the baby to be added to the case. Please include the case number, mother’s name, Social Security and telephone numbers.

How do I get help for my elderly parents? They may need a homemaker or nursing home.

Our experienced social workers will assess your parents’ situation and help you contact other governmental and community based programs. Our aim is to keep a person in the community with services coming to the person. In those cases where only a nursing home is the answer, we can also help. We also take calls from individuals who have concerns about our elderly population in the community.

Can I get help with health insurance coverage for myself and my family.

The Board will assess you for the many health insurance programs. Health insurance coverage has been expanded to a large segment of the population. Some programs require a small co-pay. We will save you time by assessing you for all the various programs.

How do I get a replacement HMO card?

By calling 1-877-414-9251 to request a replacement HMO card.

I work. Can I get help with Child Care?

Help with Child care expenses is another area that has expanded in the past several years. We may be able to directly help with child care or refer you to another resource.


Can I get help paying my rent?

The Board can offer temporary assistance to adults and families. Your situation will be assessed to help you get on your feet by either providing a service directly or referring you to an appropriate agency in the community.

Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP)

What time and date is my SNAP interview?

You will be notified by mail of the date and time of your interview. Interviews are conducted daily from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Monday – Friday.

How much am I receiving for SNAP?

Once your case is approved, you will receive a letter notifying you of your SNAP allotment.

How am I going to receive my EBT card?

By calling 800-997-3333, to report your card lost or stolen. Then call 299-7200 x 391 for a replacement card.

What is my case status for SNAP?

Your case status can be obtained by calling 299-7200 x391.

What documents do I need to provide for SNAP?

  • Proof of residency
  • Social security #
  • Birth certificate
  • All income information
  • Other documentation as required

How to apply for SNAP?

By going to the NJhelps website, or by calling the 299-7200 x391 to request an application to be mailed or go to the forms section of this website and print the form, fill it out and bring it to the office.

How can I reschedule my interview for SNAP?

By calling 299-7200 x212

What day of the month do I receive my SNAP benefits?

Between the first and the fifth of the month and it depends on your case number.


How do I report possible benefit violations and/or program fraud?

Possible benefit violations and/or program fraud can be reported by calling 299-7200 and asking for the Fraud Unit or by emailing All calls and/or emails will remain anonymous.